If you had to teach kiddos how to write and didn't know a thing about writing,
Most likely you would learn anything you could about teaching writing. You would read books. Attend workshops. Seek out advice from colleagues. Request guidance and/or support from your school's literacy coach and/or administrator. You would do anything you could to teach your students this valued curriculum piece. Why would you do this?
- Your students need to learn how to write well.
- Writing is part of the curriculum.
- It is your responsibility to deliver the curriculum.
- Writing is a valued part of literacy.
- You want your students to write well so that they are effective communicators after they leave your classroom, your school, your district.
- Writing is a life skill, one necessary to be successful in most professions and/or fields.
- Writing is used in everyone's daily life.