I am big into change. Especially if it doesn't work. Often times I'll engage my kiddos in the process, but sometimes I just need to shake things up. In my last post I chatted about kits and organization. As I was writing them I realized how dissatisfied I am with how somethings are organized. I have some decent organization going on, but am longing for more. I love having items at the table, ready for anyone to use in a moment, but I loathe having an extra box/basket taking up table space. Particularly for agendas / homework folders that we seldom use (except for when notices go home). I used to store them away from the tables, and think it's time to do that again. Possibly by the door in a prettied up copy paper box. We could probably keep the Math / Inquiry Notebooks in the book baggies as well, and would add an additional way for parents to stay informed about what we are learning. I digress...
As I sit here
whining reflecting on my classroom storage I decided to pop over to Walmart and see what might suit my needs, and I found this in black. I would definitely keep the book baggies from Steps to Literacy because they store pretty easily on the back of the chairs. And I would still keep the caddies with supplies at the ready. But a storage drawer like this could definitely come in handy!
On Top (off the table!!!)
- caddies with writing & art supplies
- unit related books ~ I end up creating baskets that the kiddos use during workshop(s) & I could keep them in those plastic book bins that I currently use for the agendas
- OR the snacks, agendas, & home folders
- CD players (if I could scrape together time, I would just transfer the audio books to iTunes and put them on the iPods)
- dry-erase board
- dry-erase markers
- Word Study notebooks
- dictionaries (each kiddo gets their own from the Rotary Club)
- maybe the Math / Inquiry Notebooks
- cursive books
- homework folders
- OR unit books